Saturday, February 20, 2010

Love the spills

We've been watching the Olympics lately and I have to admit I love the spills! Watching a really tough chick bounce 3 ft in the air off an icy slope or a cocky asian with dredlocks fall to the floor of a half-pipe. Love it. It's not that I enjoy watching them fail, it putting the successes in perspective. I don't realize how fast or high those people are going until they fall and slide on their bums down the snow at 60 miles an hour.

This may all be a little in poor taste considering the fatal accident on the opening day, but I am proud to say I did not, and will not, view the horrible crash. I think the end of a human life put on public display is in really poor taste. How inconsiderate to make his blood a spectacle.

I love watching the close calls of a skater hitting a block or catching their pants on their skate or seeing the torque of a snowboard when the boarder hits the deck. I also like watching the non-qualifiers because you realize how incredible the medal winners really are.

I just wish I had control of what events I could watch and when. Although short-track speed skating is my favorite, if every heat is broadcasted I'll bite all my fingernails 'till their bloody. Show something different like hockey or curling. Enough figure skating for pete's sake.

No comments: