Sunday, August 9, 2009

Will and the Pepper

Yesterday I was making enchiladas for a new neighbor family and cut some chilies from my garden to sprinkle on top.  William, who has always enjoyed a wide variety of foods, looked at the pepper and asked if he could have some.  I told him no, it was very hot; he could smell the top of the pepper but he shouldn't eat it.  He sniffed it a few times and then took a nibble.  "I like it Mom!!" came the ecstatic reply; okay, I thought. 

He nibbled on it for a few minutes and then started running circles around the house crying because his mouth was hot.  I dropped what I was doing and ran to get him a glass of milk (kind of laughing to myself) and he felt better after the milk so I start changing Brianna's dirty diaper.
Just as I'm up to elbows in poop, Will started running circles and crying again so I offer him some ice cream thinking cool, plus milk, plus sugar should do the trick.  

I leave Brianna screaming diaperless on the floor (heaven forbid I should be beyond her eyesight in her needy separation anxiety stage) and run to the kitchen.  Halfway to the freezer I see a bowl of yogurt on the table and start shoving spoonfuls in Will's mouth but he's disappointed it's not ice cream so he howls louder.  Now it's a competition between Will and Brianna to see who can best scream for Mommy's attention.

I get the ice cream for Will as Brianna dejectedly crawls/screams searching for me.  He happily eats his ice cream while I scoop up Brianna and finish her diaper change, happy that she didn't make any messes on the floor amid the crisis.  As I soothe Brianna, I look up to see William nibbling on that pepper again.  

That little stinker only got a piece of bread for his burning mouth.

1 comment:

Parke Family said...

Oh, Susan. The adventures of being a mom. I guess that's what we have to look forward to when we have a boy. Also - Brianna is so dang cute. The pics of her are adorable. Girls are so fun. It was great to see Charlie and hear about your family. Hope you are surviving the heat wave.