Here's my list:
Superciliousness-haughtily contemptuous
Pedantic- a person who makes a display of his learning
Indignation- anger aroused by something unjust, unworthy or mean
Complaisance- self-satisfaction
Insipid- lacking in taste or savor; dull, flat
Strictures- hostile criticism
Intrepidity- characterized by resolute fearlessness, fortitude, and endurance
Entail- to limit the inheritance of property to the owner's lineal descendants or to a class thereof; to include or involve as a necessary step or result.
Regimentals- military uniform
Disconcerted- confused, upset
Tete-a-tete- a private conversation between friends
Imputed- to credit a person or a cause (usually unjust)
Ragout- a highly seasoned meat stew with vegetables
Panegyric-a eulogistic oration or writing
Precipitance-extreme or unwise haste; rash
Celerity- speed, rapidity
Expostulation- to reason with another especially in dissuasion
Alacrity- cheerful readiness
Propensity- intense natural inclination
Propitious-favorably disposed
Laconic- sparseness of words; terse; concise
Importune- to urge or beg with troublesome persistence
Veneration- to regard with reverential respect
Mercenary- serving merely for pay or gain
Prudent- cautious, discreet, sensible
Avarice- excessive desire for wealth
Spleen- spite, malice
Pales- stake or picket of a fence
Palliation- to ease without curing
Profligate- completely given up to dissipation and licentiousness; lewd
Invectives- an abusive expression or speech
Dilatory- delaying, tardy, slow
Copse- thicket
Paddock- and enclosed area for pasturing or exercising animals
Cogent- having power to compel or constrain; convincing
Obstinate- fixed and unyielding despite reason or persuasion; stubborn
Simper- smile in a silly manner
Prodigious- exciting wonder; extraordinary in size, enormous, tremendous
Rapacity- excessively greedy or covetous; ravenous
Diffidence- unconfident in one's own abilities
Shift- trick, scheme
Hermitage- a secluded dwelling
Tacit- expressed without words or speech; implied, indicated, but never expressed
Decorum- conformity to accepting standards of conduct; propriety
Brook- tolerate, bear
Shades- woods
Sagacity- of keen mind, shrewd
Missish- of miss; fail to understand
Impertinence- rude, saucy
Assiduous- steadily attentive, diligent
Obsequious- humbly or excessively attentive (to authority); fawning, sycophantic
Vulgar- offensive to good taste or refined feelings
Arrear- a state of being behind in the discharge of obligations
Phew! So how'd you do? Remember, I couldn't confidently define ANY of these words, so if you knew 10 I'd say you were quite impressive! (I lettered in English in high school by the way) 20 or so would be awe inspiring and 50 or more would require a bow, or maybe some obsequious behavior!!
2 comments:
Wow - I love reading Jane Austen and I never really realized how much I must skip over words that I don't know. Granted - words in context are a little easier to guess at. I would say that I was pretty confident of at least 15 of these words - there were at least 20 that I had never heard (or noticed) before though! Crazy! I do notice that when I am done reading Jane Austen I will sometimes write emails to people including words like "thou" "hast" "my dear" etc :)
Heehehe! That is so funny, I would love to get an email that said thou or hast.
Post a Comment