Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Xuxo

My lunch (second lunch in hobbit terms) of anchovy pizza and a xuxo.  I had walked from our dingy little hotel in the Barri Gotic down the avenue past Tiffany's, Hermes, and other high end shops to the Block of Discord.  I purchased tickets and toured the buildings looking at everything as long as I wanted until I had to eat something.  Every other store front is a cafe; the hard part is picking one and mustering gumption to order everything in Spanish.  I ordered an empanada displayed in the window and it was wrapped up so fast I didn't have time to think so I walked out of the bakery wondering skeptically if it were polite to snarf lunch while walking down the street.  I did anyway, feeling like a Yankee.  
Around the corner I spied a bakery with an eating area and went inside.  I intended to order one of the delicious looking bocadillos in the window but somehow my adventurous side spilled out the words "Me gustaria un pizza de anchoa pour favor! Y que postre is la mejor?"  
That's how I discovered Xuxos, I could sing odes to Xuxos.  Imagine flaky buttery layers like a croissant with the melting softness of a doughnut filled with fresh made vanilla custard.  When you bite into it the cinnamon sugar bursts from the crusty exterior and the inside is so soft it melts in your mouth.  You can try looking for the creme, but you won't find it, even though you can taste it.  It remains snug inside its little cocoon without spilling out or becoming a gooey mess.
Make a note that not all xuxos are made equal.  The mini xuxos are the best. 

No comments: