Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Sagrada familia


View of the Sagrada Familia from our hotel roof top.  I've been waiting to see the Sagrada Familia for a while.  I wish I could accurately describe it but it is so much bigger and creative and bright than I was expecting.  I can't wait to see it completed.

Here is a demonstration of the way Gaudi calculated the arches used in the design of the cathedral.  He hung a chain and attached sandbags at different levels to achieve the optimal arch.  

The stained glass windows were so beautiful and enormous.  I wish I had the capability of capturing the brightness of the room and the windows.  It was the most beautiful and amazing building I have ever seen.  (St. James cathedral takes second place for the mosaics and whispering gallery)


Eventually I'll get the pictures from Charlie's camera, but I'm not sure the magnificence of this building can really be captured on film.  My favorite part was how the colored light was thrown up on the columns painting them in muted rainbows.


Here are the tops of the smaller towers.  Gaudi adorned them with symbols of the sacrament.  Wheat and grapes.   Viewing the Nativity Facade from street level they almost looked like a collection of Trix cereal. Colorful little spoonfuls of sugar I was never allowed to have for breakfast (unless Grandma Schramm happened to have them.  She always had the good kinds of cereal) and under no circumstances would I purchase them for my own children's breakfast, but they made me smile.

I can't wait to go back and see it completed.  Did I mention that already?  I've turned into such a fan of Gaudi and the way he included a reverence for the Supreme Creator in all of his works.  Can you imagine the Christ tower?  It's going to be huge!  I can't wait.

No comments: