Wednesday, January 7, 2015

My Days: Monday

When I was a newly wed living in a basement apartment I used to wonder what that mother did ALL DAY long while her kids were at school. Tom recently posed the same question to me.  

I decided to track my days of running the household. Partly because I never thought I would fill up 6 solid hours of time without kids and partly because life speeds by without many mile markers.Here it is:

Monday. 
4 am.
 Kiss Charlie goodbye.
7:30 am 
Brianna crawls into bed with me to snuggle
7:45-8:50 
Get up. Make breakfast. Scrambled eggs and cereal.  Get boys up,  make 3 lunches.  Today Brianna is eating something other than bread.  I boil some water for her thermos to keep her hot dog warm.  We have a little serving of ketchup left over from Ivars from my birthday last year.  Score! Look for thermometer for Brianna, control bickering amongst the kidlets, get dressed, family scripture study, family prayer, remind Brianna and Carter to get dressed (again), scramble looking for coats and rain boots, take home folders, library books, homework. Grab umbrella-it's pouring rain- head out to bus stop.
9:00
Breathe big sigh in peace and quiet. Send text, blog, dishes, breakfast and lunch clean up.
A rather clean kitchen.  My lucky day.
9:30 
Start dishwasher.  Listen to Taylor Swift while I reorganize the cupboard and clean out the junk drawer.  
11:30
Finished junk drawer, cupboard, and spatula drawer wahoo! Talked to Katie for 40 minutes.
11:45 
Talked to Charlie, warmed up leftovers.  Gagged.  Added milk to the rest of the slightly crunchy rice to slowly cook for rice pudding. Googled small bathroom storage. Ate a PB sandwich. Measured bathroom space.
12:45
let double batch of cheese herb scones rise while I cleaned the living spaces.
1:15 
Tried to iron some water damaged sheet music.  Didn't help much.  Katie called again and we complained about our poorly designed bathrooms.  Snapped some pics to prove mine is worse.
3:00 
Back from Covington.  Search for size 11 tap shoes unsuccessful.  Bought 30 disgusting live crickets for the frogs.  Stocked up at Costco. Talked to Charlie again and rearranged chest freezer to fit all the food.
3:45 
Finished rolling out scones and opened 2 weeks worth of mail while listening to a short bio of B. Franklin.  Its not very interesting. Out to the bus stop.
4:00
Checked the kids' backpacks, hugged and chatted with kids,fried scones (burned two fingers), prepared potatoes for dinner, updated addresses from Christmas card folks. Unloaded the dishwasher. Realized the scones were still doughy on the inside. Popped them on a sheet in the oven.  Genius, right? Less oil + simultaneous cooking= awesome.  Only not so awesome.  Still doughy and spilled half of them on the bottom of the oven when I tried to pull them out. Vowed never to make scones again.
4:30 
Blogged! What a time consumer!
5:00
Dinner.  Rotisserie Chicken, Melting potatoes, reject scones, carrots, milk.
5:30
read a book for 20 minutes
6:00
FHE.  We played the board game Life.  I'm running out of patience for it and I've only played it 3 times.
7:30 
bed time routine begins.  We all chat with Charlie.  I clear the table and strip the carcass of meat.  Load the dishwasher. 
8:55
Stories read, backs scratched, prayers said, hugs and kisses, lights out.
9:00 
Finish cleaning the kitchen, check email, squash the bugs infecting my lemon tree.
10:00 
Shower, read, bed.

1 comment:

Courtney Schramm said...

I loved reading about your day. You are a great mom and I like your 'somewhat' peaceful moments you make time for out of your busy schedule! prayers to your family!