We have two drop side cribs. The first one my mom bought for us and our very soon to be born first child because we were super poor and I think she felt sorry for us. It cost $150 and came with a trundle under the bed. I stored all of carter and will's clothes there.
The second crib we bought from our neighbors across the street at the annual katesridge neighborhood garage sale. Will was still in our first crib and Brianna was due the next week. Two days after we bought it the manufacturers recalled all drop side cribs nationwide. We didn't think much of it. I still don't think of the drop feature as much of a threat. But now we have two cribs that by law, can not be sold or given away. Unless its given to the dump.
I stared at our crib headboard for a long time. I like the curves of it and decided to attempt something useful. It was easy to pull apart and take out the spindles. I sanded it a little and painted it red then put plugs in the spindle holes. I had Charlie cut off the legs and cut a backing from MDF and I ordered 1/4 inch cork squares from Amazon (free shipping wahoo!) I wanted it to be kind of thick and 1/4 was about as thick as I could reasonably find so I used a trick from Carter's scout book. It said to make a cheap and easy cork board use cardboard and cover it with fabric.
We have plenty of thick cardboard left over from our bookcase packaging so I cut a piece to fit inside and coated it with spray adhesive and then glued the cork on top of the cardboard. Now there is plenty of thickness for the tacks and I saved a sentimental piece of furniture from the dump.
While converting the crib Will was kind of cranky and said he didn't want it, but as soon as I hung it up (with 40 lb picture hanging kit) carter and Will started jostling for hanging space, which is how the picture of the two brothers having fun together came about. They figured out how to share.

1 comment:
AWESOME! I love it!
Post a Comment