Wednesday, August 31, 2011

September already

I've felt like the summers have gone by faster the last two years.  I suppose its partly because we are busier than we were before now that the kids are older and more active.  Part of the fleeting summer is the difference between summer in Seattle and every other summer I've experience in various places across the country.

Utah: Hot, dry, mosquitos, heavily scented with sage and sunflowers, comfortable in the shade.

Texas: Hot, humid, sunny, deafening hum of cicadas, Blue Bell ice-cream.

Indiana: Hot, humid, rain in the middle of the night, fireflies, make-up melting off women's faces in the 10:00 a.m. sunshine at the park, tomatoes growing like weeds.

Then there is Seattle: In June there are a few days of glorious sun where the city shuts down as people flock to any un-timbered area to bask in the sun.  The rain finally stops July 5th (I have the rainy 4th of July pics to prove it) and we have sun.  Highs of 75, lows of 55, a week or two of 80+ somewhere before September.  Mountain biking.  Sun shining through the trees and lighting up the undergrowth like The Emerald City.  We put box fans in the windows after dinner to cool down the house (no AC needed).

Now summer is over.  September and even most of October are pleasant but I wish I was so tired of summer heat that I could beg for the coolness of fall.

1 comment:

robin marie said...

seriously, i am NOT ready for summer to be over!